Friday 13 November 2009

My Retreat Accomplishments

I managed to get quite a few blocks done for another quilt with a deadline. This one needs to be ready before Christmas and I'm on schedule so far. It's a modified log cabin with some theme blocks similar to the idea behind the character quilt (see sidebar).


The recipient picked all the fabrics and we numbered them so that I knew how many blocks she wanted off each print/colour and how she wanted the theme fabrics to be matched with strip colours.


I ran out of muslin at the retreat (I forgot to bring my stock, doh!), so I started as many blocks as I could so I wouldn't have to refer back to my instructions over and over again.
That did save me time when I got back home on Sunday and I now have all but 8 out of 56 blocks finished, hurray!


I also worked just a tiny bit on my apple baby quilt by appliqueing a little leaf to the apple stem. Well, little steps, little steps! I think I hadn't actually shown a proper picture of this quilt before, so here it is, including the applique worm:


Next, something very exciting! I learned how to paper piece (foundation piece) and do curved seams. I agreed to do a second raffle-quilt block,one of the difficult ones. I practiced the foundation piecing with my scraps and then just jumped in. I was so pleased that it worked out!

Here's the practice piece - I was so excited about the actual block I forgot to take a photo. My curves got better on the raffle quilt block, they didn't have the bumps that this practice piece has :)


And lastly, thanks to all the fabric-activities we had, I now have a pile of Christmas fabric where before I had none, and I also won this beautiful batik fat quarter:




5 comments:

Anne at Film and Thread said...

The apple with the worm is so cute!

You got a LOT done at the retreat. It sounds like fun!

Unknown said...

The worm on the apple really is adorable.

Thanks for visiting my blog! The frog fabric you asked about really wasn't that hard to find (west hill line), and I'm sure is not as hard to find as her other prints, but it's getting harder!

Crispy said...

OMGosh, I love the log cabin blocks!! Yep, worms are a must for an apple quilt :0)

Crispy

Pokey said...

Girl, you are amazing! I do not know where you find the time, much less the energy for all you do. Which is nothing short of, incredible. 1st- curves, good job! I like your cabins, and love the apple...sans worm for me. But he is a cute worm!
:-} pokey

Leslie said...

wow you got so much done. i love the little worm on the apple quilt. great job!