Today I am sharing a commissioned work with you. It's a cover for a lidded stove, 2 by 2 feet finished size. The lady who ordered it provided the fabric (which is not quilting weight cotton but a heavy cotton weave --- this made it tricky to work with, because it frayed terribly, but it was lovely and smooth to quilt). She wanted a kitchen theme on the cover.
I started by browsing the internet for tea cup and a tea pot shape, which I printed and traced onto thin paper. I then cut out blue fabric in those shapes and used a zigzag stitch around the edges to apply the shapes to the quilt top.
I quilted the details from the tracing paper with contrasting thread. This gave the shapes some nice dimensionality, too.
To make things easier, I did not cut the thread till the end and just hopped from spot to spot.
Here's a view of the back.
I quilted some steam coming out of the tea pot (the first layer was in matching beige thread, but you can just make it out here.
With the same beige thread, I filled the background. I thought about tearing out some of the wavy lines right down the center and redoing them to get better perspective, but in the end, it was not worth the effort, so I left it this way.
I added some blue thread to emphasize the steam coming out of the tea pot and used proper quilting weight cotton in matching blue for the binding (just attached to the front in this shot).
Here it is all sewn down by hand (possibly my favourite part of quilting)...
And here's the back, including the label, of course!
It was a fun little project, though I once again noticed that I prefer non-commissioned work. I can do what I want without wondering whether the customer will like it, and there's no deadline!
3 minutes ago