Friday 6 March 2009

Character Quilt - Part 1

My newest plan for a quilt - gosh, I'm good at PLANNING, when will I ever be DOING? - is one for a friend. I'd like to incorporate his main interests in life and am busily collecting fabrics, which is a lot more difficult than I thought.

What I have in mind is something similar to these two quilts by HandmadeByAlissa: Sparks Baby Quilt and the Land and Sea Quilt.
I might arrange the framed panels randomly, though that'd be a lot more piecing of the background, but it might have a nicer, less rigid look.

The fabrics/themes I've brain-stormed so far are:
  • Reading/Books
  • Salsa/Latin Dancing
  • Snooker/Pool
  • Fish/Salmon
  • Skiing
  • Seashells
  • Reggae/Music
  • Beer
  • Cheese
  • Windmills
  • Tulips
  • Cooking
  • Corals
  • Classical Music/Pianos/Instruments/Notes
  • Beaches (tropical)
  • Coffee
Here are my finds to date:

Corals

Reggae

Skiing (two fabrics from the same line)

Coffee

Seashells

Pool

Cooking (aren't these cooks awesome??)

Red for the background (he likes wine red and black in combination,
luckily I bought lots of black for the oriental quilt)

I'm pretty happy with this so far, and it's very exciting to hunt for these particular themes. I have two more local fabric stores on my list, and two that are 45 min away, make it a day adventure, because unfortunately, they're in opposite directions.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Helen has a fabric with beer bottles on it. You might be able to scrounge a square from her. I love the cooks. I might have one with a coffee mug on it. If not, I do have a pattern somewhere that paper pieces a coffee mug. A new technique but I could show you how to do it.