Wednesday 24 June 2009

Back To Basics

The Northern Solitude [previously referred to as Wildflower Serenade] quilt has been a great diversion from all the wedding quilt deadline-quilting. I pinned this quilt last week and decided to hand-quilt it.


I've realized I really cherish the silence of hand-quilting. I can listen to a favourite radio show or talk on the phone, all big no-nos with machine quilting unless I annoy the neighbours and blow my speakers, or alienate the people at the other end of the phone line.


I settled on outlining every block about 1/4" from the seam and also outlining any existing patterns of each block, so dots, swirly lines leaves.

It's extremely relaxing work and soothing. The only ones complaining are my fingers, as I don't use thimbles... :)

2 comments:

Crispy said...

So since you don't use thimbles, you must take one stitch at a time? I know of one lady that uses her fingernail to push the needle, but then she must have lots of hole LOL. Cute quilt BTW.

Crispy

Jocelyn said...

Hand quilting can be very relaxing. I enjoy picking up the needle every once in a while. For me, it is very hot work. So in Florida I can't do it for very long. But there is just something special about hand quilting.