Wednesday 3 March 2010

A Gem By A Newbie

So, the quilting on my mom's quilt worked - even without a special attachment! I ended up doing the quilting, because the machine was really tricky.

Then I showed my mom my favourite binding stitch (see Ladder stitch in my side bar for quilty links) and off she went round and round. There were a few moans of "Oh, still 2 sides left, phew." But in the end she zoomed around fairly quickly. We put on a label with both our names and the year, and now it's gracing her couch:



You can just see the pillows peaking out behind the quilt (on the top).


Here you can see some of the quilting - I did extra-large stippling to keep the quilt soft (and get it over with. I'm going to have nightmares about that machine ;) - it's really more a large meandering than stippling.



You all know I love MODA colours. This print is my favourite, so the two blocks in that print are my favourites on the quilt. I have a bit of yardage of the blue one, but of course don't dare cutting into it, because then it's used up and I can't use it in something else, hahaha. Still haven't gotten over that yet ;)


My mother is really really happy with her quilt and I think this one will actually get a lot more use than the "late fall" quilt (see side bar of my quilts) I gave her in 2008. That one is probably too big for something other than covering the quilt during the day... still looks nice though and fits her bedroom well.

I thank all of you for your nice comments about her progress and accomplishment making her first quilt (and she only started in September and really didn't work on it much for the months before Christmas, soooo... not shabby I say, not shabby at all!) - I've passed them on to her and she's really pleased to get such accolades from around the world :)

Isn't it nice to know you've made someone happy? Ah, the joys of blogging...

5 comments:

Leslie said...

GORGEOUS...i am always excited to see first quilts and this one is stunning.

Katie B said...

Beautiful quilt. I love how it's truly reversible.

Anne at Film and Thread said...

Tell your Mom it looks great! I have that same fabric that you love but in orange and brown. Very mid-century looking!

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

It looks wonderful. The extra large meandering works great with it. I have a hard time meandering far enough away, even though I try, I have to stop myself from stippling too closely. I really like how soft a quilt is when it isn't stippled too closely.

Crispy said...

Hooray for a great finish!! Is your mom ready to start on her next quilt?

Crispy