Happy Canada Day to all my fellow Canadian Quilters!
At the last quilt guild meeting, one of the ladies showed a small convergence quilt she made. I had leafed through a pattern book about convergence quilts recently and seeing this quilt brought the quilting style to the forefront of my mind again.
So I checked and tadaa! the guild library had the exact pattern book, so I borrowed it and got down to business.
I'm starting with a very simple practice piece - if I like it a lot, I'll turn it into a bigger quilt, because enough with the wall hangings already! - I'm just not the wall hanging type!
I picked four pieces of tie-died fabric, about 14" square, laid them out according to the instructions, sewed the right seams together, then cut them into the 1", 1.5", 2" etc strips starting in the middle and working out.
Then there's the shuffling of the strips.
And the sewing together of the strips.
All was well, until I became convinced that I accidentally laid one of the fabric squares wrong face up. It's so hard to tell with these. I got nit-picky and started ripping out seams and re-doing them properly. After about 1/3 of the piece fixed, I started wondering if anyone would ever have noticed and if it really was enough of an eyesore to justify the extra time - but too late, now I had started - I'll know for next time! (well, actually, I stopped swapping the strips after I replaced two of them - it really was too much work).
Now a turn, cut it all up again:
... mix the strips together again and you get...
Yeah, okay, I'm not convinced... Maybe I need different batiks. It's not as much of an "umpf" quilt as the one in the book... I'll see what I end up using this thing for :) Maybe it'll grown on me, too! Let's hope so. For now, I'll call it Sunset on Water, at least it definitely inspires a title in me, haha!