Okay, so I labelled all my diagonal rows and joined the brown and the green blocks one by one, walking back and forth to the machine because I was worried of mixing up blocks. I did well, no? Monkey Mechanic all put together, looks great, no?
So I made a backing, fairly simple...
Got to basting - I have hardwood floors, so I use masking tape. I hate wasting stuff, so I re-use the bits until they don't stick anymore... I just tape them back on the roll when I'm done - do you re-use your masking tape???
I was out of cotton batting but found a bunch of poly batting that's been waiting to be used up.
And then I started quilting - a very cool pattern, too (I'll show you later).
All went smoothly until I got to this corner. Looks odd, somehow, didn't it? Go back to the top of this post and check out the full quilt and see how long it takes you to notice.
Did any of you spot the mistake in the first photo??? Let me know!!!
I find it hard to spot when you see more than one section of the quilt, but it's a big enough mistake that I didn't want to leave it. Argh, a whole block to rotate!!! Out came the seam ripper.
Here's the same section with the block rotated properly. Are all the little hairs on the back of your neck flattening down again? It just felt wrong before the correction of the block position!
Don't ask me how, but I somehow managed to take out enough basting pins to sew the square back in by machine - the hand-sewing had seemed daunting and I didn't want to applique because the fabric underneath wasn't solid of course, just a 1/4 strip to sew on to.
Here's the block sewed back in. It's not perfect, especially since I couldn't iron the seams flat, and I have a bit of a bump in one corner, but I'll just quilt that flat, no problemo!
And to end on a positive note: here's the quilting I've done so far (all the green is done now, I'm picking a pattern for the brown right now) - I'm loving the effect, and wait till I show you the backing!! (another post ;)
Polyester batting sure make a quilt fluffy!
2 hours ago